This spring, ten of us at Omnitech gathered weekly to immerse ourselves in Accelerate by Nicole Forsgren, Jez Humble, and Gene Kim. This is a book that we will reference frequently, and we will be sharing ideas with others through our everyday conversations. We read Sooner Safer Happier together in 2022 and could see Accelerate's influence on that book.
Technology in companies has become and is becoming a core competency to thrive. We all need to become learners and work together to become better at achieving business goals through technical practices and continual improvement.
Here are some ideas we want to share and remember:
- You can rely on the data and research presented in this book. The statistical analysis and research used for the basis of this book are thoroughly explained.
- Continuous delivery is a key component of high-performing teams.
- Computers are great at repetitive, mundane tasks; humans are not. We should automate everything that we can.
- If you are not improving, you are falling further behind.
- Quality is equal to speed, and they move together.
- Transformational Leaders should serve and work to change the environment, not try to fix the people.
- Loosely coupled architecture leads to higher performance.
- We can reduce burnout and improve the lives of our team members by improving technically and culturally and having servant leaders.
- We need to focus on outcomes - not output and tasks.
- There is not a one-size-fits-all approach to transforming and improving organizations. Continual improvement and experimentation are essential.
- There are metrics outlined in the book which can help inform and guide our journey.
From <https://itrevolution.com/book/accelerate/> under the downloads and extra materials, section “Overall Research Program and High-Performance Behaviors and Practices
Read this book with your team. Share it with your CEOs. Never stop improving.